LFM Job Description
LITTLE FLAKE MINING
A talented individual with a great head for figures who can think innovatively to maximize productivity on Parker Schnabel’s gold mine.
They must be willing to work in Canada for at least six months starting March/April 2019 and happy to feature regularly on Discovery Channel’s Gold Rush season 10
They will be employed by Parker Schnabel’s Little Flake Mining Company and will be contracted by Discovery Channel to appear on Gold Rush. Remuneration will be negotiable depending on qualifications and experience. The right candidate need have no prior experience of gold mining – and may never have worked on an industrial site at all.
1. To assist Parker in analyzing his gold mining operation and identifying areas where productivity can be increased.
This will be done on the mine site using a variety of methods to measure baseline performance. These could include:
• timing aspects of the operation – eg truck movements, shift patterns, comparing individual performance of different plant operators, time lost to break downs etc
• measuring distances travelled, fuel used, volume of material moved
• tracking movements of vehicles around the site
• video recording of operations
• assessing planning, communication, team management, organization of tasks, sequencing of operations
2. Data visualization
A key part of the role will be to generate materials to communicate the results of the analysis – visualizing the data collected in order to turn the abstract statistics into digestible packages and communicate effectively with Parker, the mining crew and the wider television audience.
Data visualization methods could include:
• Powerpoint presentations
3. To identify strategies for improving productivity
Once the initial phase of data collection is over, the next stage is to work out how this complex operation can be improved. Some conclusions may be obvious and intuitive, others more surprising and innovative. Coming up with solutions that have never been tried before will involve lateral thinking and bringing in techniques and strategies from outside the world of gold mining. These could be anything from new equipment to a physical reorganization of the mine site, from small practical measures to speed up repetitive tasks to whole new methods of man management, motivation and team building.
4. To design and implement tests
Over the course of the mining season Parker will test the strategies to determine which of them will really delivers on increased productivity. Each strategy will have to come with its own metrics of success or failure that can be isolated from the many other variables at play in the operation.
This role will involve communicating directly with the miners to explain and implement the strategies that have been devised. Experienced miners set in their ways may need persuading to try new things. So the ability to communicate will be an important part of the role. It will require determination, confidence, a thick skin and a genuine commitment to the project.
5. To assess the outcomes
Every step of the way, the outcome of the trials will be measured. The effects must then be extrapolated across the season to determine what effect they will have on productivity.
Details of how Raw process Casting Data can be found here:
Thank you again for your interest.
Third Floor, 13 – 21 Curtain Road, London EC2A 3LT
Tel: +44 (0)207 456 0800 www.raw.co.uk
UK Company Reg. 4305751
* We will use the information you provide for the purposes of selection only, which may include us sharing your information with Little Flake Mining and Discovery network but we will not sell or pass your information to any other third parties.
Raw TV are not able to guarantee that you will be invited to participate or feature in any television programme. Details on how raw process your data can be found here: https://www.raw.co.uk/privacy/contributor-privacynotice.”